Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day Four: Egg Pop?

So, I heard some disturbing news the other day. My friend, O., informed me that, if I've never experienced it before, this month, I should definitely feel an egg being released from my ovary.

What the WHAT?

I've been menstruating for 26 years without feeling that little egg pop through to my tubes, and I certainly don't want to start now.

Maybe all of these years when I thought I had indigestion...?

Just for fun, I decided to Google this whole concept. You know what? You know how you can enable that feature in Google where it finishes the phrase you're thinking about writing for you? Well, as I typed the words, "I can feel myself ovu--"...it finished it for me!

There are a whole lotta ladies out there talking about their ovulation sensations. One blog, appropriately titled, "VaginaPagina" --yes, really-- features several posts from dozens of women happily engaged in shared ovulation sensation experience. That's it, no other questions, just statements about how ovulation feels.

All but one. She posted that she was jealous cause she never felt a thing. (No, it wasn't me.)

But I think I'm starting to figure out this shared-experience thing.

As we grow up, nformation about our reproductive systems is passed along surreptitiously: in darkened classrooms in the fourth grade when we're forced to watch grainy movies about "Your Body"; between the dog-eared pages of Judy Blume novels; through whispered old wives tales'("don't kiss him in a wet bathing suit"); and the ever-present, omniscient voice of "a friend of a friend."

Being a woman has so many upsides -- pink lipstick, platform sandals, Gloria Gaynor songs -- but also so much that's kept way underground. I'm glad all of the friends of friends are finally banding together. We'll figure it all out.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the egg drop--maybe you'll have a New Year's Eve in Times Square moment but hopefully not while standing in line at the grocery store! Can't say I have had an 'ovulation sensation' (that'd make a great name for an all-girl punk band by the way). Love Judy Blume by the way, where would we be without her?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea that you have decided to document your journey (is that the word for it?) on one of lives mysterious yet beautiful experiences. Clomid is new for me so I am interested in it's workings. Will stay posted. Love to you and P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas, 13 years old, was tearing through my gifts under the tree when I came upon a neatly wrapped, square, flat package. I opened it tentatively in front of my family, as I had this weird feeling about what was inside. And low and behold it was the book "What's Happenning to Me." My parents very discrete way of bringing me up to speed on puberty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post!! Keep it up!! I've been using OVULATION PREDICTOR for a long time and I still get butterflies when that little smiley shows his face. :) I got one from the internet by searching on Google HOME CHECK OVULATION PREDICTOR KIT it was great!

    ReplyDelete


1st millennium B.C., Near Eastern fertility goddess